The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 22 June 2022 – Grace Given To Each One Of Us
TOPIC: Grace Given To Each One Of Us
READ: Ephesians 4:7-11 (NKJV)
- But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.
- Therefore He says: “When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, And gave gifts to men.”
- (Now this, “He ascended” — what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth?
- He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)
- And He Himself gave some [to be] apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers.
In order to promote the unity and growth of the Church, grace is bestowed upon all believers. This grace is a special ability that enables all members to work to strengthen the Church. When Christ ascended to heaven after His resurrection, He released these gifts and gave them to His children through the Holy Spirit. In His wisdom, He has called people to various positions to act as:
- Apostles: These people are sent to proclaim the gospel and to serve as leaders of the Church
- Prophets: Chosen to convey God’s message to the Church and sometimes foretell future events
- Evangelists: This group proclaims the gospel and reaps the mature souls of the kingdom of God
- Pastors: They are gifted to teach the word of God properly, etc. We should note that these gifts are not independent but related; for example, if an evangelist gains souls, a pastor is needed to teach God’s word to teach souls. When the Apostle begins new Churches, he can teach them as a teacher and act as a prophet to speak of God’s thoughts as required by the Spirit. Today’s reading challenges us to use our God-given grace to build up the Church. We are saved to serve. Have you seen the grace given to you? How do you use it?
PRAYER: Dear Lord, may I use it in vain! Amen.